Thursday, June 21, 2012

Fractions

We started formal work with the Montessori Fraction Materials last week! (Another new buy!).  I had introduced fractions before using home-made foam circles, but then again, I had only made 1, 1/2, 1/3 and a 1/4th.  The Montessori Fractions go all the way up to 1/10th.  Another great thing is that they are accurate, so it is easier for the children to discover equivalencies, which D has already started!

So, here is the first presentation.  Naming the different Fractions.  You need black strips for the fraction bar and numbers 1 through 10 for the denominators.



Here is the next presentation where you match pre-written fractions like 1, 1/2, 1/3, etc. to the corresponding fraction circles.



Once the child understand the concepts, it is time to build fractions! I created this little tub with commands to build the fractions.  The commands basically contain all possible commands to build the various fractions.

In the above picture you can see a 2/6, 3/7 and 3/4 built.
I also made these Nomenclature cards to quickly explain the various parts of the fractions.


I also created these definitions to go along with the above set.


As you can see from the above, all my labels, commands and nomenclature cards are hand made.  I quickly wrote them on Index cards and cut to size.  Nothing fancy!  Once I am sure that D grasps the above concepts I will move on to introducing fractions of groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think, so please take a moment and leave a comment! Thank you for reading!