Thursday, January 12, 2012

Our Continent Boxes - Antarctica



This post is about our Antarctica Continent Box and its contents.  In my previous post in the Continent Series about our North America Box, I had posted about the kind of box I used.  Since the Montessori color for Antarctic is White, this box was perfect!  The front of the box has some White glitter scrapbook paper.  We also cut out some Antarctica animals and decorated the box with those.  All the pouches for the cards were made using scrapbook paper.  Nothing fancy, just a container to hold to the cards.


While deciding the contents of the box I had to keep D's interests in mind.  She is at the sensitive period for details on things.  So if I included pictures of whales in the box, then I better have details on each whale, how one differs from the other and so on.  I learnt so much while creating materials for this box!  Now I am well equipped to answer most of D's questions!

There are two major areas of focus on the materials - Animals and Scientists.  Here are our animal cards.


Here the focus is mainly on Penguins, Seals and Whales.  I also included a bunch of birds and crustaceans that are related to the food chain Antarctica. The Penguin cards are from here.  I made the rest using Google and Wikipedia. When I searched through our collection of Toob Animals, I realized that we did not have the Penguins or Ocean Animals Toob.  Our local Michaels did not have it either! So  for now we just have one penguin and one seal figurine!


From here, I got this interesting book called "Who's Eating Who?" that is a lovely read for my 5 year old.  It discusses a lot of details and gives an insight into the Food chain in Antarctica. I put the pages in a folder enclosing them in page protectors.



From here (made by Honey @ http://mondorfment.blogspot.com) I got this wonderful printout of an Emperor Penguin's lifecycle.  D loves "March of the penguins" and so these cards are perfect for her.


I printed out a map of Antarctica and some interesting pictures showing the South Pole, Ice bergs, Cruise ships, etc.


For information on Scientists I made this booklet from this website.  I got the idea from here.



As an add on to this book and to provide some activities for D, I made this paper doll with the different scientist clothing.  It has all the layers a scientist would wear in Antarctica. I got the images from here, colored and laminated the pieces.


D loves cars and enjoyed these Antarctica transportation cards that I made for her.  I got the details from here.


I have the map and the paper doll stored in a folder like this.


I made got this post card and stamps from Google.


I also created a few Artwork done in the Antarctica theme.  D especially loves the "Ship stuck on Ice" one!


No study of Antarctica would be complete without some info on Snow.  Here is a snowflake that we used during this art project we did.  The drawing of Snowflakes was done by D and added to the box! I made this easy reader booklet for her with some information on Snowflakes, how it is formed and its types.



For the books that we used for this study refer to this post.

I have a series of activities planned and I will post about those as we get them done.  We might add those to the box too.  Hope you enjoyed looking through our Antarctica Continent Box.  To take a peek at the other boxes, click here.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my!!! I LOVE your box....Thanks for sharing all your ideas and where you found them....We don't have many stuff for our Antartica box but I think that know I have a better idea of what to put inside. If you are interested, I just shared some information about Puerto Rico (my first attempt to make 3 part cards) which I am including into our North America box. Here's the link: http://apps.facebook.com/easypromos-premium/voteme/4620/613257198

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by and letting me know that this post was useful. I will download your cards and add it to our box, would be a great addition to our collection! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the "Who's Eating Who Link." I'm printing right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful! Thanks for letting me know where you found your golf tees too. If you would like to come share this at my link party for trays, boxes, bins, and bags, I would love to see you there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great :) Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome Australia box! Thanks so much for the links to resources! I featured your postcard and stamps photo and your post in my Montessori-Inspired Arctic and Antarctic Unit at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2012/01/12/montessori-inspired-arctic-and-antarctic-unit/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to all of you for stopping by and leaving a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did it again, hhahah. Thanks for all the useful information. I'm saving this post for the future.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think, so please take a moment and leave a comment! Thank you for reading!