Sunday, July 17, 2011

Currency/Coin work

Like any other kid, D has always been interested in coins and money.  So I quickly put together some works to get her familiar with basic coins.  We started off with the penny, nickel, dime and quarter.  First I put together this sorting tray, where she sorts and identifies the value of the coins.


We extended this to our practical life area with some penny polishing.  


D takes a penny from the bowl and sets it on the paper towel.  Then she puts two/three drops of lime juice and also spoons some salt on to the penny.  She uses a q-tip (not in the picture above!) to polish the penny.  She flips the coin and does the same to the other side.  She rubs the penny with the cloth and puts the polished penny into the bottle on the right.  D loved this and it was awesome how shiny each penny became!  Here is D polishing the penny!


I am planning to put out more work on the coins to teach her to combine denominations and learn the values.  Plus I will also play some shopping games with her so she can put to use what she learns!  I will post more as we proceed with her lesson!

3 comments:

  1. We love coin work too. We were actually on the same wavelengths as you and did coin counting this past week. I can't wait to see what else you come up with for coins because I'm always looking for new ideas. Thanks for sharing your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! It's Jen from Homemade Homeschool. I'd love to answer the questions in your comment, but I don't have and can't find your email address! Can you email me direct at floridatonguetie@gmail.com?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! I like how you tied two lessons together. Thanks for linking to Montessori Monday. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think, so please take a moment and leave a comment! Thank you for reading!